Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Love Affair with Beaches

My love for beaches probably stems from my fond memories of endless Sundays at the local beach with my family. We used to go every Sunday, after mass, sometimes with my younger cousins. We always had fun even when jellyfishes sometimes got us. All the rolling around in the sand and waves in our inflated tire lifesavers made it all worth it. Lunch also meant grilled pork or fish, oysters and coconut juice... then it was dessert! Ripe...Yellow...Yummy....Mangoes!

 OH, how fun childhood was! How simple everything was!


just jumping for joy...happy to be back in one of our local beaches in Punta Taytay
 (literally means "end of the bridge")

Anyhow, before we get lost down memory lane, let me give you a picture tour of some of the best beaches (mostly in the Philippines) I have been to, recently and not so recently...Enjoy!

Best, favorite and nearest to home (without crossing any ocean) is Sipalay, about 4 hours' drive to the south from Bacolod City, Negros Occidental...
My first time in Sipalay was ages ago, with friends on a forbidden Holy Week vacation in Langub 
From then on, I was hooked...I either went with family, with girlfriends, co-workers, or relatives...
sunbathing in turtle-green waters of Campomanes Bay, Sipalay
absorbing the peace in one of the serene beaches of Sipalay
...then to the Northern part of Negros...Sagay City is a couple of hours' drive from home...


Just very recently, my friends and I braved Typhoon Pedring
 just to dig in our feet into the healing black sands of Margaha Beach
 in Sagay City :)
Carbin Reef is another sanctuary and sand bar off Old Sagay City, 20-minutes by boat 

Off to Luzon...flying two sectors to get to Batanes was worth every glimpse and memory of this cove...

Stormy weather in Batanes was what I expected, but this sheltering cove
just took me by surprise...
and then took my breath away..
...located in Mahatao, a town in Batanes
In Luzon, Puerto Galera and Subic beaches are also nice, but I visited those waaaaaay before digital cameras were commonplace... :) I have always wanted to go to Isabela, and Ilocos for their beaches, but haven't yet the chance.

Crossing the Visayan seas....
Sunset at The Coco Grove in Siquijor, the Island of Fire
in one of the many beach coves of Siquijor
Sta. Fe Resort in Bantayan Island of Cebu, Philippines
hungrily waiting for lunch in Panglao, Bohol 
taking a long walk to Diniwid Beach in Boracay Island

Palawan is famous for its Underground River, one of the Seven New Wonders of the world...what  its closely-guarded secret is that they have yummy seafood as well :)

chillaxin' at Snake Island, Palawan

Jumping to Mindanao beaches...

low-tide bathing in Dakak

White Sandbar in Camiguin Island, home to seven volcanoes!

party-parteeeee time! :D

after the bursting atmosphere in White Island, Mantigue's beaches are indeed a sanctuary...
...broken only by our presence...

Samal Island is only 20 minutes from Davao City, but worlds away from the hustle and bustle of city life

Beaching in the Philippines is an adventure for me. It sometimes requires some traveling to get to them. Because this country is an archipelago, it could take you a couple of hours, or a couple of days to reach your destination...depending on where you start off.

In the US, however, the beaches are a just a drive away...but to compare these beaches for beauty in nature, I think I am partial to our own white sands :)
trying out beach bicycling in Waikoloa, Hawaii

riding the waves in Sta. Monica Beach, California

testing the cooooooooooold waters of Lake Superior, Wisconsin


You be the judge ! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment