Monday, January 9, 2012

My New Love (2nd of Many Parts)

Last post was about some churches I have been to in Negros. This post will be all about my special trip to Cebu churches! :)


I was stranded in Cebu for a night due to an itinerary change by Tiger Airways last October 2011. Refusing to be daunted by the thought of being alone in a city where I cannot speak its dialect, I turned to blogs for help. I planned out an itinerary and jeepney routes with the help of Penfires who guided me from Mactan Airport to going around Cebu, without breaking the bank.


1. From the airport, I lugged around my bags to my first stop: the Opon Church, also known as the national shrine of the Nuestra Sra. Dela Regla (or Our Lady of the Rule). The jeepney ride from Mactan airport to here was just P8.
Front view of Opon Church
(what a bright and sunny day, see?)
Inside the church
I attended a funeral mass here
 (but didn't have Communion, lest  other people think I was a relative,
 or worse, the Other Woman??? hahaha, OMgosh!)
The church was almost deserted when I visited, being a weekday and a few weeks away from its fiesta, November 21.
the altar, view from the side chapel
The figure of Our Lady is displayed atop the altar and her clothes are changed every Saturday.
A framed image of Our Father
I was struck by the words written beneath the image of God. It says: "I know your needs, your desires and everything in your heart." Too bad, the rest of it is blocked by the flower offering.
Our Lady of the Rule, framed picture at the dagkutan behind the church
Candle burning is such a part of our faith, but I noticed that in Cebu, all churches have a designated area for this called "dagkutan". This is also where candles can be found and a couple of pesos may be donated into a dropbox.

the chapel above the altar that housed the miraculous Nuestra Sra. dela Regla
This area is the highlight of this church. It is where people line up to say a prayer and venerate the image of Our Lady of the Rule. Skirts and cover-ups are handed out to visitors who are wearing shorts, or sleeveless tops, to promote modesty and proper reverence inside this holy place.
the beautiful birhen...standing at about a foot tall


the back view of Opon Church, a shot a few feet from Muelle Port, Lapu-Lapu City
From Opon, I crossed to Cebu Pier 4 via a ferry boat that cost me P12 + a one-peso port fee, so I could have lunch in SM, and get a jeepney ride to my next destination.


2. My second stop was in Guadalupe, another national shrine for Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of Cebu. This was just about 20 minutes jeepney ride from SM-Cebu, fare was about P12.
Front entrance of the Guadalupe Church
(it started to drizzle after lunchtime)
stained glass windows depicted scenes from the mysteries of the Holy Rosary
 Inside, it was airy despite the closed main entrance doors. Ceilings were high and the church was bright because of the many windows. Old ladies were having a meeting, and praying at the same time, so it wasn't as quiet or lonely as you would expect it to be at 2PM on a weekday.
Cebu's Patroness, Our Lady of Guadalupe
 Our Lady was very accessible when I visited. There was no line yet again so I was able to stand before her for a bit and gaze at her. She was wearing some jewelry, rings mostly. Coins were also at her feet. I guess gifts from devotees and visitors.
This piece might be a relic from the original  image
(I wasn't able to ask anyone while I was in church)
 3. Third stop was the Mabolo Church or St. Joseph Patriarch Church, a couple of blocks' walk from SM. I walked, because I fell asleep while riding the jeepney from Guadalupe to SM. Haha, I scolded the young boy who was playing "kundoktor" that he was supposed to drop me off at the Carmelites. But it was my fault really, coz I fell asleep :)
front and side view of Mabolo Church
(sun was shining again by 3PM)
When I got to St. Joseph, I found its facade being repaired (or maybe it was being repainted?)...inside there were also some ongoing repairs and general cleaning. I don't know why despite the busy hammering inside the church, it still felt forlorn and sad. Maybe because it was sort of dim and dingy, or maybe because there were only a few people there who were there to pray.
Altar in St. Joseph Patriarch Church
 It was 3PM so I stayed awhile to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet. After that, I got set for my next church stop.


4. Backtracked my way to the Carmelite Monastery. It was my fourth and last church stop for that day. This was a few minutes ride away from Mabolo, just a 7-peso jeepney commute. 
the gates leading into the church and monastery
(the sun hid behind the clouds)
It was around 4PM when I got to this sanctuary. People were coming in and going out the church so it was never empty. 
People were praying inside the church so solemnly, there was no sound
...only silence.
There was a "dagkutan" to the right side of the church, with a huge picture of the Divine Mercy on the wall. People also prayed there while their candles were lit.
the monastery beside the church

I noticed the building was very similar to that of the Carmelites in Bacolod City so this felt a little familiar.
A close-up of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the gardens
Across this statue was a gift shop filled with books, images, novelty and souvenir items sold by the sisters. I got a couple of folding cloth fans with a printed image of Our Lady of Carmel, for only P30 each.


I wanted to proceed to other churches that afternoon, but decided against running around in the dark, unfamiliar with the roads and routes ahead of me. The next day, I arose early so I could catch the morning mass in Sto. Nino. I was a bit off with my timing, so I just took pictures instead.


5. The Basilica of Santo Nino  is yet another National Shrine in Cebu. At half past 6 in the morning, the church was full of churchgoers attending the mass. I had the plaza to myself.
the plaza in front of Sto. Nino Shrine
small side entrance to the Basilica, leading to the chapel that holds the  miraculous Child
Took the time to see the enormous "dagkutan" across the Basilica.
This is just about a fourth of the whole dagkutan.
This area is surrounded by huge trees sheltering the candles,
catching the smoke emitted by thousands of lit offerings.
candles from Opon, Guadalupe, and Sto. Nino dagkutans
served as my souvenirs
Just my luck! It was a Wednesday when I got there :(
So I settled for this: my cellphone in hand, snaking through the rails to capture some inside shots :)

some Pillars of the Church
...I'm guessing these are the evangelists who wrote the four gospels :)
After exploring the outside of the Basilica, I decided to go inside even when mass was still ongoing.
The miraculous Sto. Nino
People lined up outside the chapel on the left side of the Basilica to venerate this Child Jesus
A painting depicting the scene of Magellan's arrival in Cebu,
he is said to have brought the statue to the Philippines
And to the left side of the altar was the most beautiful image of Our Lady I ever saw.
I don't know her title :(
I just know she is beautiful! :)
the chapel and altar during consecration of the host

the church is never completely empty even after mass
After the mass, people left the church, waving to the child Jesus...those who didn't were probably visitors like me. Observing this, I also waved goodbye to Sto. Nino before going to the Cathedral, a few steps away from the Basilica. (I stopped and paused a while to buy crunchy chicharon from a street vendor. Had it for breakfast AFTER mass. I'm still dreaming of it's yumminess right now haha!)


6. I hurried to catch Mass at The Metropolitan Cathedral, just around the corner from
Cebu's Metropolitan Cathedral
It was around 7:30AM when I took this photo, and yet the parking lot was full...A lot of people attended mass here and the Basilica...maybe that's a daily practice or maybe because it was a Wednesday. I hope it is the former.
Just finished attending Mass, another mass coming up...
At the Main entrance (I entered through the left side entrance where the dagkutan, Eucharistic Chapel, grotto and gift shop were located), I found two chapels after the Holy Mass. I found these at the right side chapel...





And this was in a closed chapel...on the left side.
had to capture this through a somewhat clear glass door :)
(yeah, my stalking powers are put into use here, haha)
After mass, I went exploring outside and found the grotto...it was kind of big than the ones I see in people's gardens...a bit smaller than that in Lourdes, France.

the Adoration chapel
I dropped in the chapel for a few moments...I was quite lost and had to catch my breath. 
corals made up the table that held the Holy Eucharist
When I came out, the church bells were tolling...calling everyone to come inside, to visit, or to go to Mass. It sounded so nice I wanted to stay a little longer. So I stood there while the bells tolled, took more pictures than any other scene while I was on this trip. :)
bells tolling, can you see them? I wish you could hear them!
And that's it! That's the end of my Cebu trip to churches in two days :) This is the best trip I have ever had... hands down.

Oh, by the way, I never got a photo of myself taken while I was on this trip (a first, haha)...well, except for this! :)
my shadow
 lugging all my bags around in Opon Church,  under the bright  sunlight! :)
* * *

Will you be rushing off to one of Cebu churches and shrines now? 
You better! or you're missing out :)))

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angela :)

    It's wonderful to know you had a very fruitful visit here in Cebu. Your visit to Our Lady of Guadalupe made me longed to visit the church again. My mom used to bring me there during my birthdays when I was a kid. My name was almost Guadalupe too hehehhe.

    Your picture of the candle souvenirs from the different churches is awesome! Thank you for sharing your photos and stories of your trip to the churches here, hope it will inspire more people to also visit these churches.

    Godbless!

    Cille =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go back to Guadalupe then, on your birthday no less! :)

    Thank you for your kind words, Guadalupe... er, Cille pala hehehe! Without your help, this trip and post would not have been possible :)

    God bless you, too!

    Angela :)

    ReplyDelete