Thursday, November 17, 2011

My New Love (1st of many parts, hehe)

Beaches used to be my passion, the source of my excitement and happiness. They still tickle my fancy, but having gone to most of the beautiful ones scattered around in this country, each new one could not entirely satisfy my expectations anymore. 

Lately, I have discovered a new love...for Catholic churches. 


First off, our cathedral in Bacolod City...
At the Bacolod Cathedral, there is an Adoration Chapel where the Blessed Sacrament is exposed from 6AM to 7PM (til 830PM on Sundays). Chapels to Our Lady of the Holy Rosary and Our Lady of the Rule are found on both sides of the Cathedral. There is also a crypt below the sacristy, a small canteen near the office and a small botica ng bayan near the parking area.
the San Sebastian Cathedral in December 2009

The Carmelites Monastery is located in Mandalagan, a few steps away and across Robinsons Place and the Convergys offices. This area used to be isolated but over the years, commercial buildings have crept up around this sanctuary. The monastery opens its gates to the public for masses (Saturdays, 5PM anticipated Mass). 

inside the Carmelites Monastery, mass was offered when former Pres. Cory Aquino passed away
Its gift shop is filled with religious articles, books and novelty items worth checking out. Also, some fresh vegetables and produce from the sisters' gardens can be purchased before and after the mass every Saturday. Their special bingkas are what I look forward to when December comes. So yummy and soooo worth it at P35 apiece :)


Located in Brgy. Alijis, St. Jude's is just one ride away from the downtown area. Though very accessible, I seldom go to this church because it is a couple of rides from our place. St. Jude is my mom's favorite saint because he is the patron of impossible causes. My sister was named after this saint. Wanna guess why? :) ....coz she is impossible! LOL  
Erap was rumored to have made a major donation to the building of this church


Nearer to home, Our Lady of Compassion is a rather small chaplaincy located in Gardenville Subdivision in Brgy. Tangub. Its anticipated Masses every Saturday at 530PM are televised and aired locally in ABS-CBN the next morning at 6AM.
the scene above the altar
Our Lady of Compassion stained glass window
entrance to OLCC


Commuting 7-8 hours due to road repairs, I was able to visit a couple of Dumaguete's churches.
the Belfry near St. Catherine of Alexandria Cathedral
after an evening mass outside the Redemptorist Church, or also known as Our Lady of Perpetual Help

I was born and raised Catholic but really never appreciated the many churches I have been to. Admittedly, there were some that made me more prayerful and intent while inside these holy places, but I always took for granted that they were there, everywhere, always.


It was only when I visited other countries that it struck me. Filipinos are lucky, blessed because we have our chapels and shrines and churches located in almost every corner near us. In other countries, you have to get up early in the morning to catch the daily mass, or else you miss it for the day. In the Philippines, we have masses in the morning, at noon, in the afternoon, and even at night. And yet, oftentimes we miss these opportunities.

So, to make up (sort of) for my shortcomings and lack of appreciation, I am hoping this post will encourage you to go visit the one nearest you...and revere it the way we all should :)


GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment