Sunday, July 1, 2012

Around Ermita, Malate, and Old Manila...in Sweet, Short, and Stolen Moments

I had the opportunity to traverse between three districts in our nation's capital lately. I was excited and happy to see a few new places (for me) in the areas of Ermita, Malate, and Old Manila. 


Before heading out to a new city alone, I spend days and nights poring over blogs and devouring helpful information so I wouldn't get lost. I also try to read maps (Google maps are really excellent!) to orient myself with landmarks and streets. However, due to the rapid growth in our infrastructure, I found that in our country, maps are a mere suggestion to where the actual places really are located. :)


Imagine my surprise and delight when I stumbled onto these fantastic discoveries of mine during my walks, transits, and, yeah ok, lost moments :D


Ermita


I heard eons and eons ago that this district was kind of sleazy and was prepped to be careful whenever I went to this area. But no, I find now that I only have good memories of this place. Jeepney drivers and passersby were helpful when I asked for directions. 

I went to hear mass in Ermita Church because it was the nearest one with a noon mass.  


Pondo ng Pinoy is a program of Catholic churches.
Churchgoers donate P1 to help finance projects
like feeding and clothing for the poor that are around the parish. 
I took this home for free, when the church aide told me to take one and bring it back when filled, anytime...even 3 years from now.
It says:
"Anumang magaling kahit na maliit basta't malimit ay patungong langit."

Crossing the street from the church,
 I was awestruck by this image painted on the body of an old and hollow tree.
Amidst the hustle and bustle of everybody on this plaza,
this beautiful Lady stood as serene as can be.
Lest you think I was headed for sainthood in a few moments or something, let me share to you some of my other mundane discoveries. 
Wendy's Salad was a snack I had to try out for only P40.
The pork barbecue from the corner of Robinson's Ermita, at P25 a stick, was worth it.
Sidenote: Though my favorite are still the ones sold in Bukidnon's Kalye Dos, for only P2/stick :)


Malate


Malate has been touted to be a red light district...I found that to be true to this day. I was careful whenever I walked its streets alone and kept myself aware of my surroundings whether it was day or night, just to be on the safe side.


I had a sleepless night so I decided to just get up at 5AM and go to Malate Church instead of tossing and turning in bed for the rest of the dawn. The church was just a block away so  I walked the short distance and was there early.


Malate Church along M.H. del Pilar St.
See the people on queue?
 I think they're queuing for food after mass provided by the Pondo ng Pinoy fund.
Although I was reeling from lack of sleep, I was enticed to go and explore parks nearby when I saw the plaza across the church. 
Rajah Sulayman Park was quite deserted and wet that early morning.

The rajah, himself.
The last king of Manila
The plaza was a pleasant park to spend some time in, but something across the street caught my attention.
Pedestrian lane that led to The Baywalk.
Joggers loved to run in this strip next to Manila Bay.

Survival and Leisure: both can be found in Baywalk
A man fishes for his breakfast while a photographer captures early morning scenes.
a shot of ships and a dragonboat
My hotel can be seen from where I stood on Baywalk :)
Sunrise was almost done, I thought, and it was time to go back to reality and get ready for the rest of the day.


Old Manila


Maneuvering the busy streets of Old Manila was confusing for me, a first-timer there. But there were so many interesting stops that made it worth my while. One of them was a quick in and out of Sta. Cruz Church. 


It was the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and I was rewarded for dropping in by witnessing an exposed Blessed Sacrament the moment I stepped into the church for the first time.


By the side entrance of Sta. Cruz Church
Above me, is St. Peter Julian Eymard.
Going around and behind the church, I passed by a monument in the middle of Plaza Lacson. Kalesa rides may be availed of from this spot. I didn't bother, for I didn't have the time nor inclination.
At the monument of the first elected mayor of Manila,
Arsenio H. Lacson, 1912-1962

From Old Manila, this bridge may be crossed to get to Intramuros and the center of Manila.
Jones Bridge over Pasig River and
 Plaza Mexico-Intramuros where passengers ride ferries that ply to Guadalupe Station.
The Bureau of Immigration office is right around the corner from Plaza Mexico.
Casa Manila is just walking distance from the above Bureau.
Souvenir shops and the Casa Manila Museum
Entrance to Plaza San Luis and Casa Manila Museum
 Plaza San Luis can be rented out for functions or a wedding reception, which is very convenient for guests from across San Agustin Church or from the nearby Manila Cathedral. 
Plaza San Luis has an underground space where functions are sometimes held.
There is a hidden garden inside the San Agustin compound between the church and its museum. It is also often the venue of garden receptions and, sometimes, concerts.
San Agustin gardens set-up for an evening concert

To cap off, relax and dine in nearby restaurants. Barbara's have buffets, but that require reservations, I think. The Coffee Shop and White Knight Hotel restaurant can be your other options. For those who really miss fastfood and prefer a familiar menu, Jollibee and Max's are a couple of hundred meters away.
Comfort food from Max's: good ole Tapsilog :)



Hungry for some adventure? 
Take a walk around your place. It just might yield you some surprises! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment