Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Adventures of a First-time Dog-Owner

For a while now, I have been thinking of adopting...a pet fish. I thought this was the extent of responsibility over life that I could handle at this time of my existence. But fortune and providence would have it another way.


Just three days ago, my mother brought home a puppy. It was given to her by a neighbor who didn't want it, because it was a female. Well, after one look at it, I wanted her...And when my mother jokingly named it after me, well, that was it! That sealed the deal. She was mine. Whether they knew it or not. :)


She arrived in a plastic bag, quiet but dirty.
We prepared a shelter for her and a box served as her new home. As she gathered her bearings, I noted that she was shivering, maybe from the cold weather or it could be from nerves. I also thought she might have fleas and ticks. This determined that she was going to have a bath the next morning.


Yus-Yus in her litterbox
Woke up early the next morning to heat up some bath water and find some flea powder for my new pet. Washed her and blowdried her quickly so she would not catch cold. She whimpered and kept trying to move out from her bath, but finally it was over.


That same day, I made my first-ever purchase for a pet: some dog food, and a de-worming tablet. I asked the sales clerk the particulars on how to feed and de-worm a month-old puppy. Good thing the guys at the store were friendly and helpful. 


They told me to call if I had questions :) Of course, I kept the receipt!

Scavenged and scraped together some unused stuff and recycled materials for Yus-Yus' use


When I got home from the store, I hurriedly fed her to see if she would like the dog food I got her. Guess what, she ate everything up!


I, of course, squealed at everything she does...hahaha, I'm such a stage-pet-owner, I never knew! :D

Investigating whether the water is worthy to drink :)
After eating, she settled down and got comfortable...like me, she likes to lie down after a meal. Siesta Time!!! :)
Sleepy yet?

Oh, and by the way, I declare her birthday to be July 2... 
So we will both celebrate our birthdays on the same month!  :)
How cute are we??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment